This course is aimed at professionals across all types of industry who need a deeper level of knowledge and understanding to work effectively with technology teams. With coding at the heart of the course, it will give you and/or your team, an excellent introduction to basic programming skills and the ability to edit the source code of existing applications.
In our practical, hands-on 3-day course, you will learn the tools, techniques, and terminology used by software development and digital tech companies, including:
- basic coding skills to create a working web application from end-to-end using a variety of software and languages;
- fundamentals of best practice in the software/web design and development process;
- key programming concepts, principles, vocabulary, and the programming 'mindset';
- value and relevance of prevalent technologies, the internet, APIs, the Cloud, etc.
Day 1: Programming Basics
- Terminal tools
- Ruby commands
- Data structures (arrays/hashes)
Day 2: Aggregating Data
- Analysing data (conditionals/loops)
- Organising code (functions)
- Aggregating data
- Reading files and processing data (JSON)
Day 3: Front-End & API Integration
- Creating web user interface
- Connecting APIs
- Incorporating functionality
- Completing a working web application
Classes are delivered in a highly interactive, hands-on style, through lessons, code-alongs and labs.
Anyone who works with tech teams and wants to learn the essentials of coding and software development. It is aimed at those working as professional advisors and consultants who want to gain a deeper knowledge of the contemporary tech landscape, including:
- Legal/Accountancy professionals
- Marketing professionals
- Health professionals
- Project Managers
- Business Managers/Administrators
All equipment, software and materials are supplied
Tea/coffee and lunch provided.
NB. This course can also be delivered as a private course for teams from any one organisation. Please call us on (0131) 290 2600 for further information.
Format: Three-day, full-time intensive course
Basic computer + internet skills.
The ability to type at least 25 words per minute. You can test your typing speed here.
"Enjoyable, informative introduction to coding for professionals who work with the tech sector but have no technical background"
"I think the course was fantastic; and the quality of the instruction was absolutely first-rate. It was an excellent introduction to coding, and thoroughly enjoyable... we could all see how the concepts and skills we were learning are relevant, not just to our clients, but to us as lawyers."
"Very much exceeded my expectations. I hadn't expected to produce any useful code at all in such a short space of time and also to be kept engaged throughout."
"Fast-paced, engaging introduction to coding, programming and web pages - brilliant!"